chat

discussion

Hello, Bat Detective!

Started by DZM
Default_user
over 3 years ago
DZM

Hello, Bat Detective Zooites! It looks like this board is a little quiet these days, but I wanted to stop by and introduce myself in any case.

My name is Darren--DZM here on Talk--and I've just joined the Zooniverse team. I'm working on a few projects, first and foremost an overhaul of the Talk system. In particular, I’m interested in working to build a unified Zooniverse Talk within which individual project forums are nested.

I don’t have any sort of scientific or zoology background, but I’m hoping to learn from everyone here! I’ll be around these boards as often as possible, looking for any other ways in which I can help out, so I’m always interested in hearing from you--questions, concerns, ideas, anything.

In particular, if you have any additional ideas for how Talk can be improved, I'd love to know!

See you all around!

DZM

Default_user
over 3 years ago

Hi Darren! Fancy seeing you here!

There is something that can be improved here! Seven months ago the data set being presented on the site was rolled over to a new set because a couple overzealous detectives had completed the current set, and since then we haven't been able to discuss the new objects on talk. ( like so http://talk.batdetective.org/objects/ABD0002oku )

I spoke to chris (bumishness) about it then, he said we'd probably have to migrate to the newer version of talk to get everything working again, and that it was on the list of things to do.

Seven (very busy given all the projects launched recently!) months later... 'tis very quiet around here.

Default_user
over 3 years ago
DZM

Thanks, Quia! I'll ask around about that.

I know there have been a few quirks with this project... we are learning from each launch and each project, and working hard to avoid letting any of our new ones have any of these sorts of issues we've seen in old ones. :-)

While I don't want to sound like a broken record, if there really is no quick-fix, hopefully the new, unified version of Talk, the one I'm collecting suggestions for now, will fix a lot of problems and make user functionality better across the Zooniverse board!

Default_user
over 3 years ago
DZM

Update, Quia... I mentioned it to a developer. He said something to the effect of, "oh, yeah," and then, "we really need to upgrade their Talk to the newer system." So hopefully that'll happen next week! I'll keep harassing him about it! :-)

Default_user
over 3 years ago

Thanks Darren. Back on the todo list! I know how things can slip to the bottom of the pile without meaning to.

Default_user
over 3 years ago
DZM

Just an update: I think a few other things have hopped into the queue ahead of doing something about this. If this slips away again, please badger me about it! :-)

Default_user
over 3 years ago

Thanks for keeping us up to date on this, Darren.

I shall badger you with classifications and large milestones. 45678 next time, maybe?

Default_user
over 3 years ago

Hi Darren, a little post-Halloween checkup to see where we're at.

Default_user
over 3 years ago
DZM

Thanks for staying on me. Our lead dev has been out this week; he's the one who said that to me before.

He should be back in on Monday; I'll ask him then for sure.

Please Log In to make comments.