Bat Monitoring help

Started by Wendy Nelson
4 months ago

I'm not sure if this is still an active place, but I could use some help:

My name is Wendy Nelson, and I'm with a group of master naturalists in Williamsburg, VA. I saw that you had a bat monitoring opportunity, so I was hoping you could help us. We are in the embryonic stage of creating a bat monitoring project. We are very excited and eager to start, but we want to make sure we're going in the right direction.

We're currently looking at the Echo Meter Touch2 ( option for recording and identifying bat calls. And I was hoping that perhaps you could answer some questions for us. We envision this as being an ongoing project that will grow over the years. But we're struggling a bit on getting started, and we were wondering:

1. Are there groups that would be interested in our citizen science data? Who should I be contacting?

2. Our initial purpose will be to track what we can and analyze our data. But also a large component will be education. Are there other things we should be considering at the start?

3. We hope to branch out into habitat management/restoration/conservation as the project matures. Are there things we should be doing from the start?

4. Do you have any experience with the Echo Meter Touch2? Is it a product that you'd recommend?

I'm sorry this is so vague, we're excited to start, but we're looking for a roadmap on where to start. We'll learn as we go, but we'd love to make sure we're heading in the right direction.

Thank you so much for your time. If you have any ideas, we'd be very grateful. Or if you have someone else we should be contacting, we'd appreciate that too.

Wendy Nelson

Please Log In to make comments.