science

discussion

How do you classify?

Started by quia
Default_user
about 5 years ago

Hello fellow detectives! I'm curious how everyone else classifies! Okay, maybe I'm curious about the two of you fellow extremely dedicated detectives, and anyone else who happens to stop by... Do you do a few every day, or do you go in bursts? Do you listen to every clip or do you classify by eye?

My attention tends to wander, I'll leave the classify window open, and do a few classifications between whatever else I'm working on.. and then sometimes I'll just get stuck, and 500 clips later I'll wonder where the time went. Sometimes I'll get distracted by a particularly interesting call, and end up reading papers instead of doing more classifications...

As time goes on, I've gradually shifted to doing more of my classification by eye. I have seen and heard so many clips that I can almost hear them without hitting play. If I see something I'm not sure about, I'll listen to it, and I listen to all the bats I find... but the thousandth car alarm bug gets a quick classification and a 'next please' from me when it's the only thing in the recording.

Default_user
about 5 years ago

Hi, quia! My classifications follows my spare time, when, I've not been too busy with job in hospital, I make quite a lot of , but recently , it's been mostly few classifications before being called back.. As you do, "car alarms bugs" are quickly done, but I pay attention visually to all other clips. I mainly spot mark at first, then check the sound even if the reverse sometimes happens. So, roughly it's all about the same as you.

Default_user
about 5 years ago

ABD0000vvy is the kind of calls I spot first.

Default_user
about 5 years ago

Hi quia. Like yourself and betarn when/how I classify varies. I aim to classify for at least an hour, most days. If I get the opportunity to do more classifications, then I'll do it in bursts - in between whatever else I'm doing at the time. However, other classifiers are my priority - which you know, being a moderator yourself - so, I often classify in between posts on the forum. As an amateur bat detective myself, I obviously don't have all the answers but when fellow detectives may need some help or find interesting clips that show particular features, I'll do my best to explain things that I've learnt. That doesn't mean to say that I'm right but it does provide an opportunity for further discussion on what can be a very tricky subject.

As for how I classify, I think you pretty much summed it up in your final paragraph. I also tend to classify visually, listen to all the bat calls and play the clip, if I'm uncertain. As yourself and bretarn mentioned, there's only so many times you can see and hear particular insect calls or mechanical sounds before they become familiar. Subsequently, a quick classification of these enables more time to carry out further classifications and to seek out those elusive bat calls!

With regards to the bat calls themselves - anything interesting I find, I'll look into or ponder over before attempting to explain my reasoning on the forum and exchange views/ideas with other detectives.

Default_user
about 5 years ago

Interesting that we're all somewhat similar! I wonder if the point we all started doing more visual classifications is visible in a plot of the time taken per classification over time. An odd little curiosity for whoever gets to go over all the meta-data associated with our classifications.

Please Log In to make comments.